When it comes to how often you should clean your carpet, there are many myths and misconceptions out there. In addition, there are many misconceptions regarding how often a professional carpet cleaner should treat your carpet.
The most honest answer is that the regularity depends on the amount of traffic your carpet takes.
In addition to the frequency of cleaning, many cleaning activities can extend the life of your carpet and decrease the amount of dirt, dust, and other harmful organisms accumulating within your carpet.
Cleaning your carpets regularly has the following benefits.
• It keeps the floor coverings in their best shape. The surface of the floor will always look great.
• Regular carpet cleaning prevents any abrasive dirt particles from accumulating within your carpet and subsequently damaging its fibers.
• Prevention of any risk factor extends the life of your carpet.
There is a report done by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration (IIRC) showed the following points.
• You should clean your carpet deeply at least once per year.
• If you have low-traffic, clean your carpet once every 12 to 18 months.
• If you have high-traffic, you should clean your carpet deeply once every 4 to 6 months.
• Carpets, which are exposed to smoking, pets, kids, and high traffic, should be cleaned deeply 3 to 5 times per year.
• It is not only about the dust and bacteria that stimulate asthma, allergies, and other respiratory problems, but also about the dirt, abrasive particles, and sand that decrease the life span of the carpet and result in early wear.
Hiring a professional cleaning service is essential in order to get your carpet cleaned deeply. You as a homeowner should vacuum low-traffic areas at least once per week and at least twice per week in high-traffic areas.
If you have pets and/or kids, you should clean where they play more than once per week. You should also deal with any stains or spots immediately. Do not leave them to sink in your carpet fibers.
Please notice that it is not only about how your carpet looks. You need to worry about what the deep layers of your carpet accumulate too. The deep dirt and toxins within the deep layers of your carpet damage its fibers significantly and decrease the life span of your floor coverings.
One of the things you can do is to have all the guests and family members remove their shoes at outside of the house. This move prevents any accumulation of dust and toxins significantly.